;

Learning to be a child again...

Learning a new language includes learning to be a child again, well really it means learning to be an infant again. 

I've been trying to think about what to blog because there is so much we have been doing that I could write down, but I finally decided to tell you all about language learning since its a huge part of life right now. 

Everyday I don't get to have a full conversation with someone because I don't know how to speak the language here and since I am here to tell stories, it's the most frustrating part of each day. So how do you even start to learn a new language? You become an infant. An infant who literally can't say anything correctly and can understand a few things. And let me tell you it's frustrating. Like really frustrating, if you know me then you know I have already almost wept in the middle of language learning classes, which is pretty normal for me... But all I want to do is talk to the people I am surrounded by, I want to tell them stories, I want to tell them about this incredible peace I have, I want to tell them about the love I experience each day. But I can't. Currently I can say hello, and see you later, ask them their name and maybe tell the auto driver how to get somewhere.  I AM AN INFANT. Yesterday I even bought a alphabet book that was also a coloring book so I could make language learning fun (when we asked the man where to buy the books he asked how old the kids were and we were like oh no they are for us... awkward). 

But in becoming a child again I am reminded of a few words from a pretty good book

"Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." - Luke 18:17

I may be taking this out of context a little, but every time I am about to cry because I don't understand what my language nurturer is trying to ask me to do I have to pray to God to literally give me the strength to try to understand what my nurturer is saying. And this helps remind me that maybe its okay that I need to ask for strength every second of everyday like an infant who needs help every second of every day. 

And then I remember that God really loves children. So why not be a child again? 


PS I also really love my team. But I think I will wait to blog about them till I have a few more really funny stories. Or until we come up with an awesome team name. 
For now we are just five girls in an auto. 



1 comment:

  1. I feel you on the crying during language. I came close today. Like look up at the ceiling and blink close. One tear may have escaped. We just started monday and it about got the best of me today. My brain just shut off. Thankfully I have a great nurturer, but it can definitely be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete